Monday, December 5, 2011

Let's Go On A Scavenger Hunt!



Dr. Smirnova allowed groups 3 and 4 to combine and create one fantastic and fun lesson for the fifth grade Bishop Dunn students.  We all combined out talents and came up with the idea to do a scavenger hunt with the students.  The weather report indicated that it would be a sunny day for the scavenger hunt, so we felt comfortable taking the chance.
On the day of the scavenger hunt, we had a map of the playground at Bishop Dunn which showed where the groups would find their clues.  Irene and I stayed outside to make sure the clues did not blow away while Corey, Jen, and Erica went inside to explain to the students what they were going to do.  I absolutely LOVED seeing the students run out of the door looking for their clues.  They were so excited to run around and collect what they would need to solve their riddle.



Once all of the clues were collected, we all went back inside because it was a bit windy and we did not want the clues to blow away.  Once inside, the students got into their groups and began analyzing their clues.  As they were doing this, we walked around to see if the students needed any assistance and to make sure they were on the right track.  We then had each group present their conclusion to the rest of the class and show what each clue was.  All groups got the correct answer.  I was so excited to be a part of this group and activity!
One thing I would have done differently was speak more to the students.  Corey did all of the talking, so I wish that I had done a little more.  Overall, I think this was a very engaging activity for the students that they thoroughly enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment